Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Duality

Goodbye, Gregorian Calendar Year 2005. You were a fickle boy and brought interesting developments into my life some of which I'll grumble about and some of which I'll always remember happily. Highlights included going to GenCon, a good job promotion, a memorable U2 concert with my dad. Stains include your beginning, a not-so-happy January and a steadily increasing flux of lost free time. But you were a memorable year, and I thank you.

Hello, Gregorian Calendar Year 2006. Be good to us all, miss. Don't be as capricious as your brother. I do know you bring to the foreground, moreso than your mischievous little brother, the well-weathered duality that all my writing peers face and deliberate: balancing a dayjob and a writing job that you want to make happen but have far less time for. I do have the feeling you'll bring some surprises, good and bad, throughout your twelve-step ellipse around our sun.

Escapee is taking a week or two break right now while I figure out into which fantasy cloud my head needs to go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

There's a book called something like Writing Your Dissertation in 15 Minutes a Day that sort of addresses what Darren said. I don't know if there's something similar geared specifically towards fiction writers, rather than dissertation writers, but maybe the dissertation book is worth looking at to see if the general info would be useful.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Kameron said...

As I looked back on 2005, I realized I hadn't completed a single story. It was quite upsetting. I look forward to this year. Selling the house will ease financial stress, and I'll be leaving my dead-end job and going back to school, both changes I think will help rejuvenate my creative process.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Harley said...

Jeff,

Sorry I missed your birthday. Need to correct that pronto. What was your mailing address again?

Just saw Jess, Ruth and Julian's new website. "... maximum slayage," had me rolling on the floor. Give them my compliments next time you see them.

//H

4:32 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

HELL NO! I only put up that image on my site for the fun of it. I generally don't like to advertize my birthday and I definitely don't want feelings of obligations to come of it! I don't even know/remember when your birthday is anymore, Harley!

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phhhhhbt.

I know people who know people. ;)

//H

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home