Friday, December 09, 2005

Manhattan Winterland

When I was getting my eggnog latte at Starbucks this morning, they were playing Christmas songs. Of course. In particular, "A Few of My Favorite Things." Why, oh why, is this considered a Christmas song???

When the dog bits, when the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad

How often have you been stung by a bee at Christmastime?

So there's big fat snowflakes outside, I had to shovel this morning, and it seems like half the people are "working from home" today. But not me, I'm here at work where all the action will be. Because at the end of the workday, Marisa and I are off to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. You should see it, too. If not today, then sometime this season. Why? Because among other reasons, it's got Father Christmas depicted like a grizzled old Norse warrior coming home from war.

So get to it!

7 Comments:

Blogger Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

I believe those phrases are actually describing snow storms (that's how a music teacher explained it to me once when I asked a similar question), but I never looked it up to see if she was right. It sounds good, anyway. ;)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kameron said...

The song was from the Sound of Music. I can't remember what scene it was sung in, but I want to say it was either a winter or christmasy one. Several of the lines deal with wintery things.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/thesoundofmusic/myfavoritethings.htm

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Well, okay. But does the Sound of Music take place in a climate where bees are buzzing around in the winter?

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Hah! Okay...so bees linger just to make folks like Darren and me miserable. I'll buy that. The bastards. I still think the lyric doesn't fit the season.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

Well, if you consider them to be metaphors, the wind in winter could either bite (like a dog) or sting (like a bee). That's what I thought my music teacher meant.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

Okay, everyone, the songs is mostly "wintery":

"Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes"

"Silver white winters" though they do melt into springs in the song

"Doorbells and sleighbells"

"Warm woolen mittens"

of course, it also mentions "Raindrops on roses", "Girls in white dresses" and "Cream colored ponies", which do not have necessarily wintery connotations.

Here's the thing to remember: WRITTEN BY ROGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN. These guys cranked shit out, they weren't really thinking about much of anything. They weren't metaphorical, or deep- their mediocrity is why they are loved.

Here- write a R&H song right now.

First get a piano. Learn thre chords.

Use this rythm: dunDUN dun DUN dun DUN DUN. Repeat until your stomach hurts.

Now, just start saying words. They don't have to be real words. "GilLY silly, sullen full of Surley! Likes of Milton Burley! Ohh!"

You've done it.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

I like candy!
Candy sure is dandy!
Hey give me a hand-y
Oh!

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home