Monday, May 09, 2005

Dreams Don't Need to Have Motion

...but it helps.

Things are going well. Over the weekend, I was able to spend a few uninterrupted hours working on my own novel again, a long-untitled book which I'm just going to have to call the Avendur project, since that's the name of the world itself I'm creating. And even that might be temporal.

My really exciting news is that at last I heard back about my Eberron submission. (It's only been about 9 months!) I made the "short list," making me one of the 30-ish runners up! Mark Sehestedt from the book department at Wizards of the Coast (and one of the Eberron editors) was kind enough to email me the letter when I inquired about its never arriving by snail mail.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled. Very. Now, for the time being, it doesn't mean much, other than a billion CCs of writer's adrenaline injected directly into the self-confidence gland. Down the road a bit, though, it also means I should be included on the list when there's a closed call for something else in the Eberron line. Time to start unearthing Eberron lore again!

The weekend was pretty good. My grandmother has been in and out of the hospital for a while now and had to spend Mother's Day there. My brother visited her on Saturday, and Marisa and I visited her on Sunday. Her health has been the sadder portion of late.

Then there was a big shindig for Mother's Day at our place. The LoPrete clan and friends, including a handful of screaming toddlers, converged. It was loud, but fun and full of food.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

Congratulations on making the short list for Eberron, Jeff! That's a well-deserved boost for you. Yay!

And best wishes for everyone's health. Sorry to hear your grandmother has been ill. How are Marisa's parents doing?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Thanks, Lara!

They're doing pretty good.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the letter!

Justin

10:52 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Maybe sometime, Ed. I want to feel things out first. Primarily because if I do have the opportunity to use these characters again for a short story, I probably will.

I just want to make sure I don't make any spoilers before that happens.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Kameron said...

Excellent! Glad to see continued success from fellow MoPers. As to the excerpt: if the Maiden open call was any indication, WotC will want that thing locked away, never to see the light of day again.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Thanks, all of you. For a while now, I had reason to believe I was getting a personalized response. But until now, I didn't know I would be included on future closed calls. It's very cool.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home