Monday, March 07, 2005

The Lesser Knowns

I have this phantom list in my head, books I unrealistically intend to read someday. After all, I have never read some of the bigger names in fantasy: Brooks, Eddings, Goodkind. People whose last names alone suffice for basic identification and who, if in some circles I mention not having read the works of, will prompt a raised eyebrow on someone's face.

And though fantasy is the genre of choice, there are science fiction classics I just feel I should be getting to before long as well: Orson Scott Card (Ender’s Game), William Gibson, perhaps some Asimov or the like. Can you believe I haven’t read any of these? As a would-be writer, shouldn’t I be paying homage to the greats? The nerve!

Well. Sometimes I want to just disassociate myself from that persona that feels he’s got to read those greats, slip away and commit the crime of picking up a no-name author’s book.

I did that today, on my lunch break. I went for a walk just for the exercise, then got that craving for something new, something forbidden, something not on my Big List—that I know nothing about. Raw fantasy without hype or esteem. Well, sure, the one I picked is book 1 in a trilogy, so it’s got to have some credit to it…but the name is still unknown to me. Good enough.

And why? Because I want to be one of those lesser known people. If I can get even one book someday in circulation, crammed amidst the hundreds of books on the shelves all over the place, I’ll be happy. It can go out of print, eventually. I’ve known many good books that did. As long as it was out there for a little while, there’s that off-chance that someone like me would have picked it up. That's something to strive for.

So I carried this new book back with me to my building, stepped into the elevator amidst the usual suits going to their respective floors, came back to work, and logged back onto my phone to continue the daily grind. But I’ve got a book to start for my train ride home.

Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kameron said...

Don't feel too bad, I haven't read Card or Aasimov, either. In fact, I tried to start Foundation and put it down after a couple pages. I just wasn't into it. Of course, this was around the time when I was starting on Maiden, so perhaps I need to pick it up and try again.

I'm a big Brooks fan, and loved Eddings in jr. high (re-read him post-secondary and didn't enjoy it as much). Goodkind was too explicit for me, both in terms of violence and sex. I stopped reading him after the third book, I think.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

You can't read everything, true enought. I've read a lot of the no-names, and some of them have been great while some have been utter trash. I've read a decent amount of the "greats" of sci-fi, most of which are awesome and some of which are utter trash.

The name don't make the story, just gives allusion to the style. For the most part.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Oh, I have read some big names. Salvatore, for one. Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. Etc.

And Paul Kemp is great. One of the best the Realms has to offer!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Selling out? Oh, no, that's not my fear. I'm a fan of a number of big-named books. I'm speaking here more of daring not to reall all books in the the Pre-Approved Catalogue of Required Fantasy Books. :)

8:09 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

I see it not just as "reading even more" than the classics. I see it as *alternatives* to the classics. Time spent absorbing the stories that fewer people will know. That's how I expect mine will be, if I am so fortunate.

I never read Beowulf or Cantebury Tales, which I'm annoyed with. I was in the honors English class, and that's why. But I figure, I missed my chance. As classic as they might be, I'll probably read some unknown novel in favor of those. Stuff like that I'll read as research if it's ever needed.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Kameron said...

I never got into Cantebury Tales when I read it for my Sr Lit/English class in high school. Loved Beowulf, and Thomas Milton's Paradise Lost had a big impact on me, though it was not an easy read because of the archaic language.

I was also really into Shakespeare at the time. My family would go down to the Ashland, OR Shakespeare festival every year. I read King Lear on my own, and we read through some of his other plays in my Sophomore Adv English class.

My Junior year I was into Steinbeck, though his short stories mostly. I'd love to go back and read his novels, but much like you, Ash, I feel like that window of opportunity may have passed.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Of course it's melodramatic. This *is* a "blog," isn't it? :)

It obviously goes without saying that you read what you want. Sometimes you feel you *need* or *should* read certain things. Especially if you aim to write as a living.

Heck, reading D&D-style novels, big name or not, is still a big no-no in some people's books. A gamer friend of mine even called Dragonlance books "trash novels," which rather depressed me to hear him say. All I can think is...I disagree.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

I make it a point to pick up first novels in the F/SF section...that way I can keep tabs on my competition, heh. ;)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Aww, Ian. The mystery has almost made it more fun. But it's all hyped now...I don't want to disappoint anyone. :)

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home