Monday, April 18, 2005

We Suspend Our Disbelief

So much retro- and introspection lately. My oldest friend visited this weekend—in my life, an old friend is one I’ve known since high school. It makes me think back. So many experiences and faces, relationships, and struggles. But the truth is, I love to assay, when I have the time and inclination, all that I’ve ever seen. Life is scary when it’s constant and unexamined. Best to avoid too much complacency.

Here’s one thing I was thinking about lately:

Writers are regarded in higher esteem when they sell hardcovers. Most books are mass markets, the small paperbacks you see everywhere. R.A. Salvatore, the biggest name in at least all RPG-based fiction, was the very first author to get a hardcover. I remember because I met him when he was doing a signing for The Legacy. It was a big deal.

But the trend began. And now WotC has been putting out hardcovers for books they assume will sell the best. I’m not financially comfortable enough to be buying these all the time. I simply choose my favorites and wait for the paperbacks to come out roughly one year later. They’re $6 and up, more affordable. Salvatore's Legacy, the first hardcover novel put out by TSR (now WotC), started off in the area of $15-18. But hardcover novels are upwards of $25 now, sometimes more.

Where am I going with this? As a measure of success, if you’re an author, you want to get to the point where you can sell hardcovers. More money, more esteem. Good career move.

Personally, I’d love to just put out mass markets. They’re more accessible to people, more immediate, for monetary reasons alone. I don’t fool myself. Even if I do get a book published someday, writing will never be a good source of income. I don’t really care about that. If I could get books out that sold for $2 each, and each earned me ¢1 each, I’d be happy about it.

I love the idea of being able to share my stories, my convictions, with total strangers. People I’ll never meet. People I’ll never hear from. It’s half-selfish, of course; it’s the gratification of being able to impact or even influence other people, however few. People far away. I’m so in love with that idea. I recently read from a message boards in an "Ask the Author" thread a post someone made on behalf of their sister, who was in the hospital with a serious illness. She wrote: "...for the time I am reading your book, it almost makes me forget about the pain.....and for that I am thankful."

After which the author posted: "THIS is why I write, people. That right there. "

I don’t see what I want to do as pure escapism or fantasy entertainment. I see writing, and fantasy itself, as an interesting medium through which to express my own thoughts. But as in the case of the girl above, sometimes just escapism is enough. I'm okay with that, too.

But I’m realizing more and more lately that life is about trying to find expression. Think about how much time you spend trying to find the right way to get what’s in your head out of your head to other people. Whether it’s a story you’ve been wanting to tell since you were a kid or simply how you feel about a certain person, so much effort in life is spent in that solitary struggle: to translate what you know into something easier to understand for the people around you, be they strangers or good friends.

Ah, well.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Huh! You may, in fact, be correct. Yeah. Now that I think about, considering that the Ravenloft line was sadly not very successful in the long run, they sure were taking a shot by publishing that one hardcover, weren't they?

But hey, this doesn't change my point! :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Well, it certainly won't be called *that*! A trilogy? Yes, perhaps, in time. I'll be bold and say maybe I can get something out there in under 5 years....? :)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jw said...

Expression is by name and outward endeavor, and this post, I feel, gets to the heart of my common and almost constant frustration- that all my attempts at getting any bit of personal work out there is met with blankness all around.

Two things in particular come to mind:
1. The Zine I produced for six months. Not only did almost ZERO of my friends buy it (cost two bucks), but the actual people who submitted work didn't even get THEIR friends to pick up a copy. I didn't recoup costs. It was a little crushing, considering how many people submitted, and how many people SAID they'd support it.

2. I would do just about anything to support something a friend did. Okay, I'm not going to buy a 500 dollar piece of art, but I'd buy a friend's book, cd, film, t-shirt, wahtever, without hesitation. When it's turned around, I get nothing. It should cease to be but is always surprising to me when this happens. It makes me wonder- I would think my friends would know that I'm not doing it for the money, but to get it out there. It just so happens that some things actually DO cost money to produce. I never charge more than cost and shipping for my stuff, and I never get any interest.

You know, of course, that this makes me quite sad. Thinking about it right now is actually depressing me. Why should I continue? What's the damn point? And yet, for some stupid ass reason, I always do. I always do another album, make another sticker, print up another poster run. It's like I want to be disappointed, but what I really want is to share some things with people who apparently don't want it.

I'm stupid.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Josh - For some stupid ass reason, you *should* continue, yes. Do it with a cynic's view, if you must, but do it. Make it an exercise in damage control. You keep trying, but expect a little disappointment, and don't rely on anyone else as much as yourself.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Well stated, Darren. That's the crux of it right there. Do it because you can't not do it. Gosh, that really sums up a lot of my traits, the good ones and the annoying ones.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Jw said...

True enough. I read a quote yesterday, "Keep doing what you're doing, keep getting what you're getting."

While I agree, I can do nothing but continue to try, just as you guys said- it's in my nature, and the process is really what I find the most fun- there's something to be said for thinking "Hey, maybe I'm doing something wrong here."

There has GOT to be a way to boost the success rate of my projects. Maybe step one is to stop relying on unreliable people. I have a chronic condition- false trust. It's not full-blown, but it's there enough to screw me often.

Being true to one's self is obviously an important part of art, projects, life, whatever- but perhaps I'm not being as true to myself as I could be?

3:48 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

All in all, it comes down to varying audiences. Or, in your case, Josh, varying collaborators. Or maybe collaborators who aren't *really* collaborators.

It's like writing horror for people who want high fantasy, or romance for people who like hard-boiled sci-fi. It's not you. It's them. Wrong crowd. We can only control it so much.

If you published a hardcore sci-fi novel and your publisher decided to have it shelved in romance and your book didn't do well, should you feel bad about your own writing? I think not.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

Indeed, Gameplan.

What's been my biggest emotional problem is that many people who I expect to be supporters are people I consider "friends", but I find more often than not that our opinions on the concept must differ greatly. And thinking that I've gone through a chunk of my life picking the wrong people, people who have no intention in a friendship of participation, makes me a little nauseous.

But yeah, I need to shift a gear or two- target a different or expanding crowd, and maybe entice people to come to the table by exuding a little more professionalism.

Case in point, I'm thinking of having my next music project "pressed", or whatever it's called. That is, an actual CD rather than a CD-R. Some cash on my part will be required, but maybe that plus a slick bit of packaging will get people behind it a bit more.

Who knows... guess we'll find out. At least my drummer uncle- who is super excited about it- is ALL about trying to get it into shops in Seattle. That would be quite interesting~Jw

10:21 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Actually, I myself and more comfortable with the concept of supporters being strangers. They don't know me, they have nothing against me, no history at all with me...so they'll always be the most objective and also take the writing for what it is.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Jw said...

I suppose that when I say "supporters" in this case I'm not talking about objective criticism, but of the "financial" support. Like, hey, my friend's putting out an album, I'll buy it!

That kind of support.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home