Saturday, October 09, 2004

Home Base

That's what I've been longing for since forever. A home base. A central location about which I can say with finality, "This is where I keep my stuff." It's amazing how entangled I feel when I always have to decide what to bring with me when I leave where it is I'm living at a given time.

I lug around a backpack every day that's always ridiculously full, because I'm not sure where I'm staying. Will I be at Joseph's Friday night? At Kate's place? Staying at Marisa's? If I go to Marisa's, then I'll need to remember to bring certain things because she has limited internet access—should I need to work on something computer-related. That's less of a problem at Kate's, but I'll also not have as many personal items there to use. Do I pack extra clothes? How many nights will I be there? And I always forget something when I go wherever it is that I go.

But soon, I'll have a home base. And then there's only two states of being to worry about: whether I'm home or I'm not. If I'm not, well then, at least I'll eventually be coming back home again—and that's where everything is. There's a real peace of mind in all this for me, because I'm always so frustrated when I have to think about where I'll be at a given time.

I've had 11 major moves in my life in more than half as many states and countries. All that constant transition has made me long for a place to call home. I have no hometown, but I sure do hope I will one someday. Yet I don't think I'll ever want to send roots too deep that I can't move again. I'll always want that option and wanderlust.

If I have to "settle down," then at least I intend to do so with an Ent's pace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kameron said...

I know what you mean. We moved every two years when I was a kid. I had crossed half the US twice between kindergarten and third grade. We moved from Alaska to Florida when I was one year old. It's probably one of the reason I have such a hard time when it comes to searching for jobs out-of-state. I finally feel like I'm settled somewhere, and I don't want to change that.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been almost a year since I bought my first house and it is an amazing feeling. I moved 10 times in my childhood and not counting the back and forth of college, another 5 in my adult life. It's a refreshing and comforting thing to know home is home and no matter how far you go or for how long, home is there when you get back. You'll like it :)

Kate

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

For someone holding an architecture degree, like myself, there is a desire to find a piece of property and build a house for myself on it. More than just finding a town to call home, I want a structure that represents me utterly.

Being an ex-military dependant, I'd also like to travel forever, never having a home.

The good news is that both are possible, with a decent amount of money. I could see myself having some sort of weekend place, that I designed, while living in something NOT designed by me in various cities.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home