Thursday, September 30, 2004

Choices

At the risk of seeming mushy all of a sudden...

I think about this a lot, but something brought it to mind again.

We are each of us a chain of choices. Each link is a choice we’ve made in our life. Were are not a meshwork of interlocking links, but one great strand of them. One choice leads us to the next, and we can never go back and break those links or remove them. Time keeps shoving us forward, and the most we can do is glance back. We can never effect any change on past choices. All we can do is try and make better choices next time.

I’ve been alive for something like 10,125 days. I’ll be getting married in 31 more. Before anyone wonders if my musings have anything to do with what appears to be the sentimental introspection preceding such a momentous event or some buried reluctance, I want to say again right up front that I can’t wait.

Has anyone ever asked you to give reasons for loving them, be it friend or lover? As if it were as simple as making a list. It's a selfish question, in my opinion, and evidence of more than a little self-consciousness on the part of the questioner.

What I love about Marisa are the choices she’s made in her life, that combination of decisions that led her to the person that she is—that is what I love. It's something to admire and be proud of. It's not a single feature or quality that can hold you this strongly. Enough to make a cynical man defy the depressing statistics of marriage in the modern world. And so I could love no other like this.

My apology if today's entry is uncomfortably lovey-dovey. It's not the usual distant, non-personal type. But this weblog is useless to me if I can't make it personal for myself, if the expression is needed.

Word of the Day

Fugacious and fallible our lives have always been; making something of it meritorious is the best that we can do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Harley said...

Up the lovey-dovey quotient! Bring the noise.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

One can accept mushiness every once in a while, allowing that the mushiness is pointed.

Pointy mush?

When trying to envision a chain of life (is this something one could consider phenomenological?), I envision a cluttered ball of links that defies a linear framework. Sure, you may have put those links on their in a chronological fashion, but you'd be lying if you said that you ALWAYS had an overall shape in mind.

Not only that, but within the overall pile of chain links, there are undoubtedly segments of it that cut the other segments off from each other. Sure, once you set a link, you can't go back, but this is meta compared to the large knots of links that make up the even larger chain.

Or something.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home