Friday, September 03, 2004

Paper Faces on Parade

All this week, I've had to deal with the Republican National Convention going on in Manhattan. It took place at Madison Square Garden, and I work on Broadway and 38th St., a very short walk from there. Police barriers, motorcades of cops, and most of all, an insane number of tourists and protestors. Mostly all these things just made it slower to get to work, and to be honest, I'm really just glad there wasn't any serious incident. The security was justified.

But it's funny. I grew up with very Republican-minded parents, and I admit some grain of that conservatism remains within me—but not much. And yet now, everyone I know my age is exceedingly Democratic. Or more correctly, anti-Bush. For this reason, depending on who I'm talking to, I find myself in the company of people who speak as though their opinions are solid fact, are right, and it cannot be any other way.

Truth is, I'm not much for politics. It's not my arena, not my speciality, and I cannot voice a strong opinion either way. I'd live with whatever the majority demands and be content. In a worst case scenario, this country is still easier to live in than most others. Given the context of the world and history, I simply cannot complain. The funny thing is, I think monarchy is best, if things were as they were meant to be.

"For there, right in the midst of our lives, is that which satisfies the craving for inequality, and acts as a permanent reminder that medicine is not food. Hence a man's reaction to Monarchy is a kind of test. Monarchy can easily be 'debunked'; but watch the faces, mark well the accents, of the debunkers. These are the men whose tap-root in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polphony, the dance, can reach—men to whom pebbles laid in a row are more beautiful than an arch. Yet even if they desire mere equality they cannot reach it. Where men are forbidden to honour a king they honour millionaires, athletes, or film-stars instead: even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food and it will gobble poison."

- C.S. Lewis, in Present Concerns

And that's about as political as you'll ever see me get.

Word of the Day

The Republican Convention has been the cynosure here in NYC these last few days; I'm glad it's over and people can go on treating people as they were before, ignorant of one another's views.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jw said...

As before, I'm surprised in you sometimes.

I side with no political party, but I really don't think that you can say that you "find myself in the company of people who speak as though their opinions are solid fact, are right, and it cannot be any other way" AND ALSO SAY "I'd live with whatever the majority demands and be content. In a worst case scenario".

If you don't have an opinion, and don't do any research, study, or even listening to the "experts" in order to form your OWN opinion, you can't criticize the opinions of people that DO try.

I hate politics quite a lot, and this election will be the first I vote in, even though I could have before. Even a cursory glance at the issues, withouth listening to any OPINION should give you a clue as to how you'll vote.

And as for Darren... that opinion is the reason that voter turn out is so low. Even if you are pessimistic about voting, or the "electoral college" and such, you are taking advantage of SO MANY liberties in this country, you should add to the popular vote.

Don't let yourself just ride the tide of the masses, do your part. Resignation is such a lack of hope. Vote, and try to get some idea about the issues. Watch the debates. That way, if you get drafted, at least you have the right to bitch about it.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

And if you vote, and still lose, the right thing to do is stay and fight. Not give up and run away.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jw said...

I didn't say anything about running away... but wouldn't you prefer a future in which getting forced to join the military was LESS likely?

Wouldn't you prefer to try? Just try to have a part in the processes which make this country the kind of place that might be worth defending?

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home