Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cereality


I have an understated fondness for breakfast cereals. Really, I could probably just have cereal each as my main meals, and supplement it by things like fruit or vegetables or occassional meat.

I'm not sure what it is—some elusive, ascetic appeal? Colorful colors? Bright friendly characters hawking tiny crunchy or flakey fragments, which may or may not contain sundry bits of fruit or marshmallows. Maybe it's just because you can make a whole meal with a bowl, a spoon, and some milk. No heating anything up. Easier than instant oatmeal (don't get me wrong, oatmeal's great)!

Maybe it's the commercials. There have been some good ones. I fondly recall the Gremlins cereal, and C3POs, and my all time favorite: Crispy Critters. Sure, the cereal was decidedly Kix-like and tasteless. But look at those cute little yellow animals! Count me in!

Or maybe it's because there's a bazillion different ones to choose from. And c'mon, it's the best aisle in the store! I still have many favorites. Maybe I don't have the ultra-sugared ones, and maybe I use skim milk now, but it's still good stuff. Cracklin' Oat Bran, Super Golden Crisp, Frosted Mini-Wheats, among others, or any of the fun imitations of these. I love the alternate names the imitation brands have. Marshmellow Mateys, for example.

So what is/was your favorite cereal??

Edit: I never liked the Lucky Charms and Trix commercials. Those kids were mean! I was ashamed to be one myself! I think the rule is, if you're featured on the box and the cereal is named after you or inspired by you, you're allowed to eat it. Geez!


[In the year 2000]: "U2 will admit that they wrote the song ‘I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For’ after going to three supermarkets looking for Boo-Berry cereal.” — The Edge

8 Comments:

Blogger Jw said...

My favorite was always Cocoa Puffs. You might say I was... crazy for them?

Hmm... that's not right.

By the way, I invented Reece's Puffs Cereal. Long before they stole my concept with their NSA-style spy satellites, I was mixing Cocoa Puffs and Peanut Butter Crunch into the bowl.

I always hated Fruity Pebbles, because of how soggy they got. But now, I actually kinda like them.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Ahh, Reeces was good. Perhaps you had merely hit upon a flavor meant to be.

As for soggy. Well, soggy's fine. That works for some cereals. Then there's the soggy-defying ones like Grape Nuts. What zonked out kind of cereal was that?? My dad always had those. Wasn't bad if you coated it in a generous layer of sugar.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Kameron said...

My favorite is Crunchberries, though, like you, Jeff, I could eat any cereal for all three meals as long as it didn't have raisins.

Currently on the cereal shelf: Kix, Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, Frootie Tooties (off-brand Fruit Loops), Raisin Bran (for the wife), and an off-brand Super Golden Crisp.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Kameron said...

Oh, and I couldn't help but notice how similar the Crispy Critters tagline is to Lucky Charms.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Jeff LaSala said...

Indubitably! So Kam, you can handle Kix, eh? What's with that cereal? Kid tested? Mother approved? I know of no kids who would choose Kix over, say, Cocoa Pebbles.

Hey, Josh, remember this:

Frosted Luck Trees
They're Magically Coniferous

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruity Pebbles are perhaps the finest cereal ever made. Cocoa Pebbles are way up there as well. Honey Bunches of Oats is good. Grapenuts are excellent but only when covered in sugar and soggy.

-Ed

11:53 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Cookie Crisp.

I liked cereal that made no apologies for what it truly was - cookies in a box.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Kameron said...

I don't mind Kix, but their really for my 3-yr-old son, who loves them.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home