Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Willing to Settle

I read an interview with Monte Cook (big-time game designer and former Wizards of the Coast employee), and in it he said: "I think there's still too many willing to take advantage of the fact that many designers love what they do so much they're willing to settle for very low pay."

While he's talking about game design, I think the same is true for fantasy/sci-fi fiction writing. Very true. I'm still blown away by the notion of getting paid for writing even those two small adventures I did for a Goodman Games book that I could care less just how much, or little, it is.

The very idea of getting paid for doing something one really enjoys just makes one feel like a fraud. How dare they ask to be paid? Me, I just want a book (or eight) in circulation someday. If was I told you had to pay (and not be paid) to make that happen, I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Escapee Episode 5 is up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jw said...

Not just writing, gaming and sci-fi. That's what happens with art, man. It's a combination of loving what you do and (more importantly) wanting your stuff to be out there that convinces artists and designers to work for little pay.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home