Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Thoughts Free Flow

Even though I've known for most of my life that I wanted to write it really wasn't until the last few years that it became necessary—not just as a background desire, rather a demanding presence in the fore. No matter where I am or what I am doing, I am always at least partially thinking about whatever my latest writing project is. This absolutely does not stop. Actual words spring to mind sporadically, specific phrasings of specific imagined scenes, which I usually try to get written down if I can—wherever I may be.

Not to say that it's all actually any good. Just that it is. Sometimes it feels like an affliction, like constant streaming audio (or sometimes, cinematic video) broadcast down from some roving satellite that I simply can't turn off. Most of it might be static, but literal words get through randomly and they're not bad. And if I fail to write some of it down somehow, as is often the case, when later try and rewrite the same scene, the wording isn't as good. It's already passed.

I might just be nuts, too.

Oh, by the way, I'm very much in the brainstorming stage of the reinvention of my website, Ashlock.org, which may arise soon-ish with the help of a very prolific friend. If anyone has any genuine ideas of what they'd like to see on that website, please let me know either right here or by email. I really want my site to be useful and enjoyable. Right now it's just...bleh.

We're up to Escapee episode 43 now, by the way.

Also in recency, I've become quite responsive to the Texas-based bands Flyleaf and Blue October, or at least to their albums, the self-titled Flyleaf and Foiled respectively. If anyone's interested in a sample, let me know.

In closing, despite all this self-indulgent drivel, I want to say again that the most unsung person I know personally is my wife, whose burdens are many and respites are few. I want to give her everything I can, unworthy as I feel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marsheila (Marcy) Rockwell said...

I feel the same way about writing. Sometimes, as a scene is unfolding in my actual life, there's a part of my brain that's sitting back and figuring how I'd write it. This is virtually simultaneous sometimes, so it becomes almost like following a script.

Writers are weird.

And kudos to unsung writer spouses! :)

1:25 AM  
Blogger Jw said...

I'm always interested in hearing some new music!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home